There are times when I feel like I’m in a sewing funk and can’t stomach to make just another plain ol’ robe a l’anglaise so I turn to Pinterest for some inspiration. That’s where crazy ideas come from, Pinterest. I know you’ve seen that meme floating around about eating salads out of mason jars, that’s what Pinterest does to you! It just puts these ideas into your head and you’re like,
“Yeah let’s do that! It’ll be so easy and I’ve never seen anyone do that before so it’ll be way cool!”
but really it’s totally crazy. Oh and we can’t talk about Pinterest without mentioning the unwritten rule: Pinterest projects can go one of two ways, you either knock it out of the park or it becomes a dreaded Pinterest fail.
So a group of costuming peeps are heading to the Valentine Theater next month to hear the Toledo Symphony Orchestra for Mozart’s birthday and I needed something new and appropriate for the symphony. The challenge is it has to be a stash busting project because holidays mean spending my money on other people instead of buying myself more pretties to hoard away. It also has to be something amazing and right around the 1780s, just because.
Digging through my stash was sad, there really isn’t a lot left that would be appropriate for an 18th century upper class evening wear ensemble that hasn’t already been earmarked for another project. Aside from bits and pieces of silk from various projects the only useable length of fabric I have is a navy blue silk saree embroidered with gold thread in a basic polka dot and club motif, so it’ll have to do! I have roughly 4 1/2 yards of the plain blue embroidered fabric with a small panel of blue and gold striped that is a little over a yard, so gonna have to get creative here ie. head on over to Pinterest.
I just start typing in really random and vague search terms like “1780s fashion plate” in hopes of finding a rabbit hole to fall down that will lead me to “the look”, whatever that may be. I don’t even know how long it took but once I found it I knew it was “the one”. A striped bodice with big ruffly white sleeves and this plain skirt trimmed with more stripes and ruffles, hmm this fits the bill it’s visually interesting, something I’ve never seen done before, and it uses stripes!
So now we have a plan and we have a bodice mock up already in place – I cut two when first working on the one for the Barbara Johnson gown, time to start cutting up some silk 😬